I always have cooked quinoa in the fridge at the start of the week – ready to add to a salad or serve as a fantastic grain free side to a piece of salmon and steamed greens. Provided you do too, with my Cold Quinoa “Cereal” you’ll also have breakfast ready in minutes, if your kitchen is stocked with my suggested pantry staples. For those really short on time in the morning, I suggest you pre-prepare your “cereal” and simply add fruit, yogurt and milk in the morning. Eating healthy doesn’t happen by accident – it’s your choice and your consistent preparation that will ensure you stay on track.
If you’re used to sugary breakfast cereals, you may need to add a touch of honey or rice malt syrup to this, but personally I like mine just as is. It is always best to decrease your reliance on sweet food, even natural sugars, as it gives your taste buds a chance to reset, minimises cravings and keeps your blood sugar in check all day long.
- 2 tablespoons cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 8 almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pepitas
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 small handful of blueberries
- 100g natural/coconut yogurt
- Unsweetened almond milk, to taste (I use Pure Harvest)
- Combine quinoa, nuts and seeds in a small bowl.
- Add fruit, yogurt and milk and stir through.