Chocolate + Zucchini = Chocchini! This bread is not only grain free, but gluten free, refined sugar free and dairy free. The addition of buckwheat flour creates a denser, more “bready” loaf that both slices and toasts well. Buckwheat is packed full of protein, magnesium, mangasese and fibre, so please source some from your local health food store. To learn more about the benefits of buckwheat, please read ‘Buckwheat: the scoop!‘.
- 2 cups almond meal
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao (for an extra “chocolatey” bread, add ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- 1 zucchini, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, buckwheat flour, cacao, psyllium, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, ACV, coconut oil, and rice malt syrup. Stir well, ensuring all of the dry mix has taken up the liquid. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes to allow the psyllium to go to work.
- Add the zucchini and combine thoroughly.
- Scoop into a greased bread tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Delicious served warm with a dollop of coconut yogurt.
* This recipe will work without buckwheat flour but it will become more cake-like in consistency.
**Yes, almond flour will work fine but the end result will look slightly different. To learn about the difference between almond meal and almond flour and where to purchase yours, please visit Our Kitchen.