It’s almost Easter and just in case you’re looking for a healthy alternative this year, I’m diving into the archives and sharing with you my Grain Free Hot Cross Muffins. These beauties are low starch, unlike many gluten free alternatives, and sweetened only with a little dried fruit and rice malt syrup. A definite favourite here at TNN. Happy Easter team – I hope you get to spend the long weekend with the ones you love.
Ingredients (Makes 12)
- 2 cups almond meal
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup dried fruit – I used chopped peaches and sour cherries
- 1 tablespoon psyllium
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange rind
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted (we use Coconut Revolution)
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup (we use Pure Harvest)
- 4 eggs, free range
Egg wash and cross:
- 1 egg (yolk for wash, white for cross)
- 1½ tablespoons dessicated coconut
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Add flours, dried fruit, psyllium, spices, baking powder, orange rind and salt to a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- Add coconut oil, rice malt syrup and beaten eggs, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop into greased small muffins tins and bake for 10 minutes.
- To make the egg wash and cross, firstly separate your remaining egg. Whisk yolk and set aside.
- Add egg white and dessicated coconut to a small bowl and whisk well. Transfer into a piping bag or zip-lock bag with one corner cut off.
- Remove muffins from the oven and coat with egg yolk. Use the egg white and coconut mix to form a cross on each muffin. Place back in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Delicious served warm with organic grass-fed butter.
Image by the divine Sarah Craven Photography.