We strongly believe the keys to healthy eating success begins in the kitchen, and in particular your pantry. If your pantry could do with a healthy overhaul, our 4 tips are a great place to start:
Throw out the junk
Starting afresh means clearing out the nasties! Any packaged or processed foods which contain an abundance of refined ingredients, need to go in the bin. Simply check the label and if there is anything on the ingredients list you don’t recognise, including refined oils, preservatives and food acids, toss it. Sticking to whole foods and as close to nature as possible is the best thing you can do for your body, which brings us to our next tip.
Focus on whole foods
These are ingredients not ‘products’ and those with minimal human interference. Whole foods retain the highest quality of nutrients and should be your top priority. Check out our staple ingredients list to follow for some inspiration.
Buy in bulk
Take note and write a list of the ingredients you use frequently – these are the items you should buy in bulk to save money. Simply start with an aim of two staple ingredients each week, and before you know it your pantry will be decked out with an abundance of whole food goodness.
Ensure adequate storage
Store dry goods in glass jars or airtight containers (BPA free, of course) to help maintain the shelf life and avoid spoilage. Items you use frequently should be placed at eye level – as humans we are inherently lazy, so let’s make it easy for ourselves and pop those everyday items you use straight in front of you!
Here are TNN’s favourite staple ingredients which you may want to add to your shopping list:
- Coconut Oil: our number one oil of choice and for good reason. Studies have shown that the consumption of coconut oil can assist in calorie burning, fat oxidation and reduced food intake, and as a result, weight loss. One teaspoon of coconut oil in a frypan is perfect for cooking eggs, steak, chicken, vegies… it’s that easy!
- Chia Seeds: these seeds are truly one of nature’s superfoods. High in omega 3’s, protein and natural fibre, they are fantastic for blood sugar control, which is the key to satiety, energy and weight management. We are absolutely loving Chia Porridge this winter!
- Cacao Powder: full of antioxidants, magnesium and a natural mood elevator – yes please! Your pantry is not complete without this super powder, the healthiest way to get your ‘chocolate’ fix. Try our Sweet Potato Brownie for a healthy, delicious guilt free treat.
- Loving Earth Raw Organic Paleo Mix: because sometimes quick and easy is a necessity and when it includes good fats, activated nuts and seeds and 10g of protein per serve, we are a big fan. We love to pair it up with some Kultured Wellness coconut yoghurt and berries for a delicious energy packed breakfast.
- Pure Natural Raw C Coconut Water: we use this to create probiotic packed Kultured Wellness kefir to keep our guts happy and healthy all year round.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: such a simple way to spice up your salad dressing or add to a glass of warm water before meals to boost your digestion.
Need a convenient way to stock up on health food supplies? Australian NaturalCare has you covered. Australian NaturalCare manufactures all of its vitamins right here in Australia and has been in operation for more than 25 years, providing quality and confidence to support over 500,000 individual health regimes.