MCT Coffee has been around for some years now, but has really only become mainstream in line with the realisation that the food pyramid is a pack of lies, and toast and cereal is the worst possible choice to start your day. (I won’t jump on my soapbox about this now, but have written about it in “Fats: the truth!“. I also highly recommend Gary Taubes’ Good Calories, Bad Calories if you would like to learn more).
The what and the why
MCT coffee, otherwise known as a “fat black,” is a concoction of coffee, grass fed butter or ghee and medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), that will kick start your metabolism, promote fat burning, aid satiety and improve mental acuity. It is ideal pre-training to assist fat adaptation and performance, and far superior to your standard latte. Read why you should avoid cow’s milk in “Dairy: the scoop!“.
- 1/3 – 1/4 cup organic coffee beans, ground
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 teaspoon Melrose MCT oil
- Make a standard espresso using a coffee machine or your preferred method.
- Add hot water to a blender to pre-heat.
- Empty water and add coffee, butter and MCT oil and blend for 20-30 seconds or until creamy and well combined.
How do you enjoy your MCT Coffee?
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.