This Broccoli Soup is featured in our LCHF Pescatarian Meal Plan eBook, where we show you how to adopt a LCHF lifestyle without the meat.
Broccoli forms part of the cruciferous family and supports phase I and II detoxification of the liver. It is also packed full of vitamin C and soluble fibre making it an ideal addition to your meals as we head into winter.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 medium broccoli head, floreted
- 50g spinach
- 300ml coconut milk (canned)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
TO SERVE (PER PERSON):
- 1 egg, free range
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan. Sauté celery for 2 minutes and add spices.
- Pour in stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and continue to simmer for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add spinach and remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add coconut milk and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste and serve into bowls.
- To poach egg/s: bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add vinegar. Crack each egg into a cup and create a gentle whirlpool in the water. Slowly tip the egg into the water and cook for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with additional eggs if serving more than one. Add egg gently to bowl and serve.
Store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days and reheat on the stove as required.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Min Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.