Jujubes (AKA Chinese red dates) are a type of fruit, tarty and sweet in flavour with a host of health benefits that are particularly important in the postpartum period. Jujubes are high in vitamin C, antioxidants and flavonoids which are thought to boost circulation and provide relaxing qualities.
If you don’t like the taste of Jujubes on their own, why not pair them with some quality healthy fats and protein for a delicious snack?
Ingredients (Makes 8-10 balls)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup dried jujubes (Chinese red dates), soaked in boiled water 30 minutes prior
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup, optional
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra for rolling
- 40g cacao protein powder (e.g. Bare Blends)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Soak chia seeds in water for 10 minutes.
- In a food processor place soaked chia seeds and jujubes, coconut oil, almond butter and rice malt syrup if you want some extra sweetness. Pulse until a paste forms.
- Add desiccated coconut, protein powder, cacao powder and cinnamon. Pulse again until a crumbly dough forms.
- Using a spoon, form mixture into 9 balls that each sit nicely in the palm of your hand. To prevent sticking, add a touch of oil to your hands prior to doing so.
- Roll in coconut and chill in the fridge before serving. Best consumed straight from the fridge.
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.