You may have noticed we love putting a healthy spin on classic dishes and this Mexican Chilli Con Carne with Avocado Smash will leave you feeling satisfied and nourished!
Whether you’re vegan or trying to incorporate more vegetables into your diet – this one is for you.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 red capsicums, finely diced
- 2 x 400g can red kidney beans
- 2 x 400g can whole tinned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup kale leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 handfuls coriander, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a large fry pan on medium heat. Add red chilli, red capsicum, red onion, garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, cumin, kale and water to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Season well.
- Meanwhile, dice the avocado and place in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, lime juice, add coriander and season to taste. Roughly crush the avocado with the back of a fork.
- Serve 1/4 of the bean mix and top with a 1/4 of the avocado mix. Serve with mixed salad leaves or additional steamed kale tossed in olive oil.
Recipe developed by Elly Mclean, Holistic Nutritionist & JERF Lover. Learn more about Elly here.
Image by the divine Sarah Craven Photography.