Adopting a real food lifestyle doesn’t mean missing out on your favourite summer take away meals, it’s just a matter of getting creative in the kitchen and using wholesome ingredients. This recipe is a prime example of how you can turn your average fish and chips into a nutritious and tasty meal, that’s sure to impress your guests!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 300g white fish fillets, such as flathead
- 1 egg, free range
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 ½ cups almond meal
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, for frying
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Sweet Potato Fries:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh rosemary, to taste
- 2 handful rocket leaves
- 120g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Whisk egg together with the almond milk and pour into a shallow dish. In another shallow bowl, place the tapioca flour. In the third shallow dish add the almond meal, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Place the fish fillets into the tapioca flour and gently toss to coat. Dip the fish into the egg mixture and then toss into the almond meal mixture to coat. Repeat this twice and set aside.
- Slice sweet potato into thick chip-like pieces. Toss with oil, salt and rosemary and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked and golden.
- In a large frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons of oil and cook fish for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl and divide evenly between two plates. Serve with the fish and sweet potato chips.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Melinda Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.