With the warmer weather approaching, this recipe is a refreshing and nutritious way to start your morning. Thanks to the abundance of good fats, protein and greens, this smoothie bowl will keep you satisfied and energised all morning. Taking only a few minutes to prepare, it’s the next best thing to eating ice-cream!
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- ½ cup frozen raspberries
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed whey protein, optional
- 1 tablespoon nut butter
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon grass fed gelatin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup nut milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon goji berries, optional
- Add nut milk and chia seeds to the blender and let sit for 15 minutes for the chia seeds to go to work.
- Add remaining ingredients, excluding the coconut flakes, cacao nibs and goji berries, into a blender and blend until creamy but still a thick consistency.
- If the consistency is too thick slowly add in additional nut milk.
- Spoon the mixture into a bowl and top with coconut flakes, cacao nibs and goji berries.
Note: we’re well aware of the carbohydrate content of this smoothie bowl, but it’s still far lower carbohydrate and sugar than most smoothie bowls you’ll see on social media. We recommend it to be consumed in the hour after a high intensity exercise session.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Melinda Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by the divine Sarah Craven Photography.