This recipe is the definition of a throw together, veggie packed dinner that the whole family will love!
Implementing vegetarian meals and therefore a variety of antioxidant, phytonutrient and fibre rich foods is a great way to introduce diversity into your diet. This is key to optimal gut health and fuelling all those wonderful gut microbes.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 125g sweet potato, grated
- 150g tin chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, free range
- 2 teaspoons moroccan spice
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 50g pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 100g mixed lettuce leaves
- 60g olives, pitted & halved
- 1 medium tomato, cut in wedges
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- To cook quinoa: place dry quinoa and 1 cup water in a small saucepan, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook 10-15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine sweet potato, chickpeas, cheese, spring onions, coriander, eggs, spice and chilli in a food processor and pulse until combined. Don’t over-blend; you want texture.
- Stir through cooked quinoa and pine nuts. Divide mixture into four and shape into patties, then chill for 10 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then cook burgers for 6-8 minutes or until golden, then gently turn to cook other side.
- Toss salad ingredients together, season with salt and pepper to divide between two plates. Serve each topped with two patties.
Recipe developed by Head Honcho Steph Lowe and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Steph & Elyse here.