Need something new and wholesome to whip up this week? Look no further than our Simple Chicken Teriyaki Bowl. This recipe brings together all the right flavours with a delicious Japanese twist and will give you just the right amount of protein, healthy fats and vegetables to hit your macronutrient goals.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 300g free range chicken thighs, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into rounds
- 1/2 head broccoli, floretted
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, floretted
- Sea salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons rice malt syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Add all sauce ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined.
- Place chicken in a container with ½ the sauce mixture and set aside to marinate.
- Prepare eggplant by sprinkling with sea salt (this process will drain out excess liquid and bring out the flavour of your eggplant). Place the eggplant in a colander or strainer and let this process take place for approximately 20 minutes. Rinse and then pat dry with paper towel.
- Place eggplant on a lined baking tray, drizzle with half the olive oil, brush over sauce mix and season with salt. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes and then add marinated chicken to the tray and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- While eggplant and chicken is cooking, steam broccoli and prepare cauliflower rice.
- Blitz cauliflower in a food processor or blender until it resembles rice and lightly sauté in oil.
- Serve cauliflower rice into bowls and top with, chicken, eggplant, broccoli and avocado. Garnish with green onion and sesame seeds and enjoy!
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.