Nothing says comfort food quite like our Slow Cooked Mexican Chicken, packed full of vegetables, protein and all the right flavours that the entire family will love!
If you’re someone who is compromised digestively, you may want to consider getting the slow cooker out. This method not only tenderises cuts of meat but also softens root vegetables and legumes, making it much easier to digest and absorb nutrients.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1½ cups chicken bone broth
- 400g can organic black beans, drained & rinsed
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, diced
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ bunch fresh coriander leaves
- Add onion, garlic, spices, chilli, tomato paste, tomatoes and chicken broth into slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add beans, chicken and vegetables to slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Stir through lime juice just before serving and top with coriander.
- You may like to serve it alongside some cauliflower rice or basmati rice (cooked and cooled is best for resistant starch), see more here.
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.