Ever wondered how to make tender pulled pork without spending hours in the kitchen? We love using slow cookers here at TNN and this recipe is not only delicious but has the added benefits of bone broth and the most nutrient dense green leafy vegetable on this earth, watercress. Simply put aside 5 minutes in the morning to add the ingredients into your slow cooker and you will arrive home to moist pull-apart pork ready to go. Perfect for lunch the next day or freeze for another meal.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1.5 kg boneless pork shoulder
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 ¼ cups bone broth
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 250g brussel sprouts, finely sliced
- 100g rocket leaves
- 50g watercress
- 1 avocado, mashed
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine chilli flakes, ground cumin, sumac, garlic powder and salt and rub over the pork shoulder and place in the slow cooker.
- Add in 2 cups bone broth and turn onto low for 8 hours.
- Leaving the pork in the slow cooker, take two forks and shred the pork so that it becomes pulled pork.
- Heat oil in a frypan and sauté chilli for 30 seconds. Add Brussel sprouts and ¼ cup bone broth and simmer for 5-10 minutes until softened.
- To serve, place the rocket leaves and watercress on a plate and top with pulled pork. Serve with Brussel sprouts and mashed avocado.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Melinda Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.