You may have already picked up that sweet potato is one of our favourite carbohydrate sources here at TNN and with BBQ season in full swing we thought we’d create a delicious, nutrient packed side salad to spice up your next BBQ. Sweet potatoes are easy to incorporate into your meals, cheap to purchase, and packed with antioxidants, need we say more?
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, melted
- 3 eggs, free range
- 4 rashers pasture-raised bacon, diced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 6 semi-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 handful rocket
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- Paleo mayonnaise, to taste
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl toss sweet potato in 1.5 tablespoons coconut oil and season well. Transfer to a lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes or until soft and golden.
- In a large saucepan place three eggs into cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and run under cold water. Peel the eggs once they are cool enough to be handled and roughly chop.
- Add remaining coconut oil to small frypan and quickly fry the bacon until crispy.
- In a large bowl, combine the roast sweet potato, eggs, bacon, spring onion, semi-dried tomatoes, rocket and chives. Toss through paleo mayonnaise to taste and season well.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Melinda Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.