There is no need for expensive store bought muesli, protein or energy bars, which are more often than not full of sugar, preservatives and ingredients you can’t even pronounce. These No Bake Energy Bars are packed with all natural ingredients, make fantastic snacks or training bars, and literally take ten minutes to prepare – no baking required!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- 6-8 Medjool dates, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cacao nibs (optional)
- ½ cup rice malt syrup or honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat grill.
- Place quinoa, coconut and almonds onto a lightly greased baking tray and toast for 5 minutes, stirring mid-way.
- Pour toasted mix into a large bowl and stir through dates and cacao (if using).
- In a medium saucepan, add rice malt syrup/honey, salt and vanilla and bring to the boil (about 4-5 minutes until thick), stirring constantly. Your syrup should be thick and golden, but take care not to overcook as it will burn.
- Pour hot syrup over dry mix and combine thoroughly.
- Line a cookie sheet pan or cake/bread tin with greaseproof paper, or lightly coat in coconut oil.
- Transfer mixture and press firmly until flat (grease your hands with coconut oil to prevent sticking). Feel free to sprinkle with extra coconut here.
- Pop in the fridge to set first, then remove before slicing. Once at room temperature, cut into 8-10 bars. Store in an airtight container or wrap individually in glad wrap to take on the bike or for when you’re on the go. Enjoy!
*This recipe has been recently updated (July 2013), so you may find it slightly different if you have made it before. The ingredients are still all the same, but it’s even better!