We’ve shared with you our thoughts on Nutritional Ketosis and Exogenous Ketones for Performance and we highlighted the emergence of exogenous ketone products and how they are best used. Let’s recap:
Here’s why ketosis is so beneficial:
- Enhanced focus and mental clarity
- Access to clean energy
- Increased satiety and blood sugar control
- Fat loss without hunger or starvation
- Emotional balance
- Long term health: ketosis improves autophagy and apoptosis which are critical for disease prevention and long term health
- Ketones offer an alternative fuel, especially beneficial for aerobic exercise
- Ketones are a higher octane, better quality fuel
- Ketones prevent catabolism (protein breakdown)
- An improved fat oxidation means a biased metabolic profile
- You essentially become “bonk proof”
As we have discussed, 1.5-3.0 mmol/L is considered optimal nutritional ketosis and is recommended for maximum metabolic benefits. Many of my clients however, find it hard to get within this range even during a period of <50g carbohydrate/day. For our endurance athletes, we don’t recommend using such a low volume of carbohydrates for longer than 2 weeks at a time, so exogenous ketones are a perfect way to bridge the gap. It’s still LCHF of course, but an amount personalised to the individual’s genetics, metabolic goals and training volume and intensity.
Before you dive in, remember:
- Start with JERF/LCHF
To optimize ketone levels and mimic our evolutionary physiology, please ensure you get into nutritional ketosis first before adding exogenous sources.
- Use them smartly
From a training perspective, ketones are most suitable to fasted aerobic training. For high intensity training (where you are have identified pre-training carbohydrate consumption to be beneficial), save your ketones for post training to allow you to get straight back into fat burning.
- Buy from a reputable source
Multi-level marketing companies with minimal education and a non-disclosed proprietary blend are not companies we support here at TNN.
Introducing Perfect Keto
Here’s why we love Perfect Keto:
- Doctor-developed. Dr Anthony Gustin is a functional medicine clinician who follows ketogenic diet and is one of the most versed ketone researchers.
- 100% completely real ingredients. That means no soy, dairy, gluten, or artificial sweeteners.
- 11.38g BHB per serve.
- Minimal gastrointestinal distress (a common complaint of exogenous ketones).
- They taste great – chocolate sea salt is definitely our fave!
- No multi-level marketing required.
Ready to try exogenous ketones?
We have a limited supply on sale, until stocks last. So be quick and purchase yours here.