I know, I know, most of my recipes are gluten free and sugar free treats. I can’t help it – it’s one of my favourite things to do. But I have had a few requests for some new salad and main ideas, so I thought I would start simple, and with one of my favourites.
Perfect for any meal of the day, this Simple Salmon Salad is packed full of nutrients – antioxidants, fibre, protein and omega-3, just to name a few. Remember, salmon at least twice a week is the key to a healthy polyunsaturated fat balance. Always opt for organic wild salmon where you can, and to save your dollars, buy the tails or offcuts. They are often cheap simply because they don’t look as pretty, but they certainly taste just as great! You can also check out your local markets on a late afternoon for last minute specials. Healthy eating can be economical, as long as you are prepared.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 salmon fillet
- 1/3 bunch broccolini
- 1 large handful spinach leaves
- 1 small handful sunflower seeds
- 1 small handful craisins
- 4 walnut halves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- Goat’s milk feta (optional)
- Heat pan with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and lay salmon fillet skin side down to cook.
- Bring a small amount of water to the boil in a saucepan to lightly steam broccolini.
- In a bowl, arrange the spinach leaves, seeds, craisins and nuts. Top with broccolini.
- Dress with apple cider vinegar and coconut oil. Sprinkle with Goat’s milk feta.
- Flip the salmon and cook to your liking. Personally, I like my skin crunchy and top sealed until crisp but tender. Medium, some might say.
- Pop the salmon on top and devour. I mean, chew mindfully and enjoy. Heaven in a bowl.