We know protein balls are so 2011, but these babies are a lifesaver when it comes to managing your overall sugar intake and having a healthy snack on hand! Deliberately made date-free and filled with healthy fats from cashews, chia seeds and coconut oil to keep your blood sugar controlled and give you a nice concentrated source of energy. They’ll quickly become a favourite with the little people in your life too.
Ingredients (Serves 10)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup water
- 250g cashews, ground
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut, plus extra for rolling
- 1 scoop cacao protein powder
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao
- 1–1½ tablespoons honey, maple syrup or stevia
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- Soak chia seeds in water for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, place cashews, coconut, protein powder, cacao, sweetener of your choice and cinnamon.
- Add melted coconut oil and stir well.
- Add soaked chia seeds and stir to combine.
- Using a spoon, form mixture into 10 balls that each sit nicely in the palm of your hand. To prevent sticking, add a touch of oil to your hands prior to doing so.
- Roll in coconut and chill in the fridge before serving. Best consumed straight from the fridge.
Recipe developed by Head Honcho Steph Lowe and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Steph & Elyse here.