Who ever thought eating marshmallows could be gut healing at the same time? Only we would develop such a thing and you won’t be disappointed with the result.
The key ingredient used in these Fluffy Gut Healing marshmallows is gelatin. It’s a complete protein source which provides essential amino acids for cell integrity, especially the cells of the gut wall. This in turn improves nutrient absorption, meaning you’ll obtain more out of the food you consume. You may have heard the saying ‘you are what you eat’ when in truth it should be ‘you are what you digest and absorb’.
Give these a go and let us know what you think – the kids will love them too!
Ingredients (Makes ~36)
- 1 cup filtered water
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- 3 tablespoons gelatin powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon Melrose Essential Reds Powder (you can also use a beetroot or acai powder)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Line a 20cm square baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small pot, bring half the water, rice malt syrup and salt to a boil and allow to bubble away for a couple of minutes before setting aside.
- In a large bowl add the remaining water and gelatin. Combine using either a hand held beater (or a mix master if you have one). Once combined, very slowly begin to add the contents of your pot into the gelatin mixture. This should take 4-5 minutes if done correctly and slowly.
- Add vanilla and your powder of choice and continue to beat on high until mixture becomes fluffy and soft peaks form.
- Add mixture to your lined baking tray and smooth over with a spatula before placing in the fridge to set for an hour.
- Slice and allow marshmallows to dry out on a tray for few hours.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.