Who doesn’t love taco night? Especially when it involves tender, pull-apart beef brisket and it makes for an incredibly healthy meal any night of the week!
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, reaching your health goals does not mean missing out on the foods you love – it’s just about using whole foods and making it work with the right mix of ingredients and flavours. Give this a go and we guarantee it speaks for itself.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 600g grass fed beef brisket
- 1 fresh chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, no salt added
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups beef bone broth
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 avocados
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup Steph’s Super Easy Dairy Free Sour Cream, optional
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander
- 4-6 Three Ingredient Sweet Potato Tortillas
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the chilli, garlic, peanut butter, tomato paste, rice malt syrup, cumin, coriander, paprika, 2 tablespoons of oil, 0.5 cup of bone broth and salt into a food processor and blend until a paste forms.
- Marinate the beef brisket in the paste, cover and place in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
- When you’re ready to commence the cooking process, preheat oven to 180°C and heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove brisket from marinate and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned.
- Place brisket, along with reserved marinade, the juice of 2 limes and remaining bone broth in an oven proof dish and cover with aluminium foil. Cook for 3 hours or until meat becomes tender and set aside to cool slightly before shredding the meat with 2 forks, it should be very easy to pull apart.
- Prepare avocado smash by mashing the avocado with the juice of 0.5 lime and seasoning with salt.
- Prepare slaw by combining cabbage and carrot. Dress with the juice of 0.5 lime and remaining oil. Season and stir well.
- To assemble, place beef on top of each tortilla. Top with smashed avocado, slaw, coriander and sour cream. Enjoy.
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.