Say hello to our Warming Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup, just in time for this chilly winter weather! With the addition of Broth of Life bone broth, this soup will provide you with important minerals and vitamins including calcium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus AND accelerate gut repair and healing due to the gelatin and glutamine content.
If you haven’t heard of Broth of Life, we highly recommend you check them out for a convenient, easy to prepare and delicious bone broth option.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 500g carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red chilli, finely diced
- 1 litre filtered hot water
- 10 teaspoons Broth of Life dehydrated chicken broth
- 400ml coconut milk
- ½ bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil with diced sweet potato and carrot to a large bowl. Toss to combine and transfer onto the baking tray. Add garlic cloves, skin on, to the tray and transfer to the oven. Roast for 20 minutes, turning at the half way mark.
- Heat remaining coconut oil in a large saucepan. Add leek, ginger, chilli and cumin and sauté for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Combine water and dehydrated bone broth. Pour into pan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Add roasted sweet potato and carrot. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skin and add with coconut milk to the pan. Blend until smooth or your desired chunkiness. Season well and serve into four bowls. Sprinkle walnuts on top and add chopped coriander.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Min Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.