High in calcium, iron, vitamin C, manganese and phosphorus, chia seeds are truly one of nature’s superfoods. Their high omega 3 and natural fibre content also makes them fantastic for blood sugar control, which is the key to satiety, energy and weight management.
Chia seeds are also a complete protein, providing all of our essential amino acids, which is actually quite rare from a vegetarian source. I love to add mine to smoothies, “cereal” or granola, or have them star in this divine breakfast (or dessert!) option. A little planning ahead goes a long way – soak your chia seeds today and you’ll have this Coconut & Cacao Chia Pudding ready in seconds for breakfast tomorrow.
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raspberries
- 8 almonds, chopped
- A couple of raspberries
- 1 small handful cacao nibs
- 1 small handful coconut flakes
- A drizzle of rice malt syrup, optional
- Combine all pudding ingredients in an airtight container, stir thoroughly and soak overnight in the fridge. You may need to check on it once or twice and stir again.
- Serve with raspberries, cacao nibs, coconut flakes and if you need a little more sweetness, rice malt syrup.
Did you know chia seeds can also be used as a fantastic egg replacement? All you need to do is add one tablespoon to three tablespoons of water and allow a gel to form, before adding it to your recipe. Perfect for those with allergies or intolerances to eggs, or those choosing a vegan lifestyle.