Unfortunately I can’t offer you “buns” this Easter. I’ve tried a number of times*, however grain free baking is not always easy. But there’s good news! My Grain Free Hot Cross Muffins are low starch (unlike many gluten free alternatives), sweetened only with dried fruit and rice malt syrup, and mighty tasty! I hope you enjoy.
Ingredients (Makes 12)
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup dried fruit – I used chopped peaches and sour cherries
- 1 tablespoon psyllium
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange rind
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- 4 eggs
Egg wash and cross:
- 1 egg (yolk for wash, white for cross)
- 1½ tablespoons dessicated coconut
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Add flours, dried fruit, psyllium, spices, baking powder, orange rind and salt to a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- Add coconut oil, rice malt syrup and beaten eggs, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop into greased small muffins tins and bake for 10 minutes.
- To make the egg wash and cross, firstly separate your remaining egg. Whisk yolk and set aside.
- Add egg white and dessicated coconut to a small bowl and whisk well. Transfer into a piping bag or zip-lock bag with one corner cut off.
- Remove muffins from the oven and coat with egg yolk. Use the egg white and coconut mix to form a cross on each muffin. Place back in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Delicious served warm with organic grass-fed butter.
*It is for this reason that I also can not offer substitutions I’m sorry. I’d love to hear about your successful creations though, so please feel free to share below.