The warmer weather slowly approaching was our inspiration for this recipe and nothing says Spring like a BBQ with the ones we love! Using nothing but wholefood ingredients and the perfect balance of flavours – you can’t go wrong with our Coconut & Almond Satay Skewers with Asian Slaw!
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 500g free range-chicken thigh fillets, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 teaspoon tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup, optional
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 bunch kale, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, chopped into matchsticks
- 1 chilli, chopped into matchsticks
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 1-2 avocados, halved
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Heat oil into a small saucepan over low-medium heat and add garlic and ginger, stirring for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add almond butter, tamari, apple cider vinegar, coconut cream, chilli flakes, lime juice and rice malt syrup, stirring well. Add ½ cup of water into the mix and continue to stir for 2 minutes or until it begins to bubble and start thickening. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, add chicken pieces and ¼ of the satay sauce. Stir until chicken is completely coated in sauce and thread onto skewers.
- Preheat BBQ grill on medium-high heat and grill chicken skewers for 8-10 minutes or cooked to your liking.
- While chicken is cooking, make your slaw by placing all ingredients into a large bowl, dress with oil and apple cider vinegar, season and stir well to combine.
- To serve, place a portion of salad, followed by a couple of skewers onto a plate. Add half an avocado and top with sesame seeds. Enjoy!