Is there anything better than a warm and flavoursome curry to wrap up your day? We love the versatility of adding new vegetables and spices to different curry recipes to keep things interesting. This Lamb & Chickpea Curry with Coconut “Rice” is a result of our experimentation and will give you a beautiful dose of iron, fibre and nutrients such as zinc and vitamins K and A.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 1kg lamb, finely cubed
- 2 medium onions, cut into small cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 3-4 stalks celery, diced
- 200g spinach
- 1/2 cup bone broth or water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Coconut Cauliflower Rice:
- 1/2 head cauliflower, floretted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk (canned)
- Fresh coriander
- 1 lemon, diced
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add lamb, spices and curry powder and cook gently for 10 minutes or until lamb has browned.
- Add onion, garlic and celery to the pot and cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until softened.
- Add remaining curry ingredients bring to the boil before lowering the heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 45 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- Meanwhile, grate cauliflower to a rice consistency. You can also use a food processor here if you wish.
- Heat coconut oil in a large fry pan and lightly fry “rice” until soft. Add coconut milk and combine well. Serve curry on top of “rice”, garnish with coriander and serve with a slice of lemon.
Recipe developed by Head Honcho Steph Lowe and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Steph & Elyse here.