This Low Carb Savoury Breakfast Bowl certainly speaks for itself, would you look at those colours! It’s not only so simple to throw together but is perfect for balanced blood sugar and brilliant brain function to set you up for the day ahead.
Wild caught salmon is such a fantastic source of protein to include in your weekly shop with the highest omega 3 content than any other fish. Making sure your salmon is ethically sourced and wild caught will provide a significantly enhanced nutrition profile, as well as very important environmental benefits. This includes higher omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D content and an array of other vitamins and minerals, less exposure to toxins such as mercury and a much better taste.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs, free range
- 4 vine tomatoes
- 1/4 large avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, optional
- 30g feta, optional
- 2-3 slices wild caught smoked salmon, e.g. Harris Smokehouse
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add tomatoes (with the vine attached) to the tray and coat with half the oil. Season and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender or they begin to split.
- Add kale and remainder of oil to a bowl and massage well with hands for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil and add the apple cider vinegar. Stir with a spoon to create a whirlpool which is where you will place the eggs, one at a time. Cook for 3-4 minutes depending on how runny you like your eggs. Set aside.
- Now it’s time to plate up the dish. In a bowl add your kale, tomatoes, eggs, salmon and avocado. Sprinkle with feta, lemon juice, chives, season and enjoy!
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.