As you may or may not know, I am a cashew butter addict. It just made sense that this was the first recipe I mastered in my new Vitamix Total Nutrition Center®. My favourite way to eat it is on my grain and dairy free Coconut Pancakes, and it’s my nut butter of choice in my Sugar Free Coco-Crunch. (It’s also just perfect off the spoon, but we won’t go there…). Simple, all natural and delicious. And way better than the store bought version!
A big thank you to Vitamix for everything that they do – you can check out their fantastic range here.
- 4 cups raw cashews
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened*
- 1 pinch Himalayan sea salt**
- Add all ingredients to the Vitamix and secure the lid.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed from variable 1-10.
- Blend on high and use the Accelerator to push down the sides and ensure an even mixture. This should take 4-5 minutes. Be patient and allow the nuts to release their fats. It will get to the stage where your cashew butter flows freely and you will notice a change in the sound of your Vitamix. That’s how you know it’s finished!
- Transfer into an airtight container and store at room temperature. I love to use my old rice malt syrup jars. Enjoy.
*The addition of the coconut oil makes making nut butter even easier. It’s not an essential ingredient, however the health benefits of coconut oil are enough for me! If you choose to omit the coconut oil, please be mindful that it will take longer. Be patient or you will not end up with a smooth, creamy and delicious cashew butter as intended.
**Himalayan sea salt is great for regulating the water content of our bodies and promoting a healthy pH balance. Unlike what you may have been told, salt, in moderation, is actually integral to regulating our blood pressure. You can purchase this from your local supermarket or health food store.
Please note: if you don’t own a Vitamix you can try this recipe in a high performance blender, but unfortunately I can’t guarantee the same result.