It recently occurred to me I have never nailed a curry. Clean protein, vegies and coconut galore – all of my favourite things, so it just made sense that this was next on the list. And trust me, it will become a definite staple in your house. If fish isn’t your thing, this curry can be made vegetarian or with chicken, so please feel free to use your creative license here.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 2 red chillies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 stick lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 fillets white fish or 2 free-range chicken thighs
- 1 handful green beans
- 1 zucchini
- Halve chillies and remove seeds. Roughly chop along with garlic and lemongrass and blend with curry powder, turmeric and coconut oil until a paste forms. (If you are unfamiliar with lemongrass, simply remove the tough outer leaves and the bulb (end) and slice the stalk using all of the fleshy part. Stop slicing when you get to the greener, more woody section).*
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pan and cook paste for two minutes or until it becomes fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, coconut cream and sweet potato and simmer for 15 minutes or until sweet potato is soft. If you are using chicken, add it at this time as well.
- If you are making the original recipe, add the fish once the sweet potato is cooked and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Finally, add chopped greens and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve on top of cauliflower rice or cooked quinoa. Enjoy.
*You can make the paste ahead of time to be even more efficient. It really only takes 5 minutes though – like all of my recipes, I have simplified this to make cooking as easy and as enjoyable as possible for you. I’d love to hear your feedback.