This Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread has two versions and both are just as delicious. For paleo and lower carb, select Option 1. For the perfect post-exercise bread, opt for Option 2. I love mine with smashed avo, rocket, fresh lemon and poached egg. Enjoy.
- 450g pumpkin
- Option 1: 3 cups almond flour
Option 2: 1½ cups almond flour + 1½ cups GF plain flour
- 2 teaspoons GF baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
- 1 small handful pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove skin and slice pumpkin in small pieces. Steam until soft, mash and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add to the flour mix.
- Add the oil, rice malt syrup and mashed pumpkin and combine thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased bread tin and spread with extra rice malt syrup before sprinkling with pumpkin seeds.
- Option 1: bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Option 2: bake for 1 hour before inserting a skewer to see if it is cooked throughout. If the skewer does not come out clean, leave for another 20-30 minutes before finishing off under the grill.
Both will obviously be dependent on your oven, so make sure you check your bread regularly.
Did you know pumpkin is a great source of antioxidants and omega-3 so it is the perfect anti-inflammatory food? How wonderful!