Warm weather is finally making an appearance here in Melbourne and you know what that means right? Smoothies are back in fashion and we are pretty happy about it.
Smoothies are such a delicious way to pack in an abundance of nutrients and this Choc Mint Smoothie Bowl has all the right ingredients to kick start your day!
Did you know? The addition of mint leaves in this recipe adds a soothing element for the digestive tract. It contains a compound called menthol and this has been proven to relax the muscles in the gastrointestinal tract and pose benefits for the microbiome. It’s a big yes from us!
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 3/4 – 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, depending on how thick you want your smoothie bowl
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 handful mint leaves, stem removed
- 1/4 avocado
- 20g spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 cup ice, optional
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon coconut flakes
- Add chia seeds and coconut milk to a blender and let sit for 10-15 minutes for the chia seeds to got to work.
- Add remaining ingredients excluding the ice, into the blender and blend until smooth or your desired consistency . If desired, add in the ice and blend further.
- Pour smoothie into a bowl and top with cacao nibs and coconut flakes.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Melinda Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator.
Image by the divine Sarah Craven Photography.