Dates are delicious and they are quite high in sugar and not digestively suitable for everyone. The solution: cultured dates! The fermentation process essentially removes the sugar (and potentially problematic FODMAPs), making it a great way to turn some of your favourite recipes into a more blood sugar and gut friendly option.
- 1 cup pre-made Kultured Wellness Kefir
- 20 organic dates, peeled & diced
- 1L coconut water, or enough to cover dates
- 1 cabbage leaf
- 1 2L glass jar
- Place kefir and dates in a 2L glass jar and cover well with coconut water, leaving some space between the liquid and the top of the jar, in case the liquid fizzes and expands during the ferment.
- Secure with a cabbage leaf to ensure all dates are submerged in the liquid to prevent them going brown.
- Leave on the bench to ferment for 24-48 hours, tasting after 24 hours. The kefir should be tangy with no detectable coconut sweetness. In warmer weather it will ferment in 24 hours and for cooler climates 48 hours is needed for all the sugar to be eaten up by the beneficial bacteria.
- Store in the fridge and use dates in smoothies, sweet recipes etc. Dates will be quite soft but they can be carefully frozen for future use. Kefir can be consumed as per your first batch.