Second only to liver pate, garlic is one of my favourite superfoods. Try this fermented version for all the antimicrobial benefits, without the potentially problematic fermentable sugars (FODMAPs). Due to the compound allicin, garlic is often referred to as been ‘Russian penicillin’ and is incredible for your gut microbiome and immune system, just as a start. I prescribe raw garlic to the majority of my Rebuild Your Microbiome clients and after many gut microbiome report analyses. Enjoy.
- 1/4 cup pre-made Kultured Wellness Kefir
- 8-10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cabbage leaf
- 1 glass jar
- Place kefir and garlic into a small glass jar and add enough filtered water to cover the garlic cloves so they are completely submerged in liquid, leaving some space between the liquid and the top of the jar.
- Secure with a cabbage leaf to avoid the garlic turning mouldy.
- Seal the jar and leave on the bench to ferment for 2-3 days.
- Store in the fridge and use garlic as you would normally in cooking.