Who doesn’t love sushi? Here’s a really easy way to make a family favourite also really incredible for your microbiome. And the bonus? Your thyroid will benefit from the iodine boost via the seaweed, and it really is the unsung hero of optimal thyroid health.
Gut Friendly Sushi
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 5 cups basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 1/4 cups bone broth
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 medium avocados, sliced
- 200g fresh or smoked wild-caught salmon, sliced
- 50g kimchi or fermented vegetables
- 8 nori sheets
- ¼ cup tamari or coconut aminos
- Wasabi, to taste
- Chilli flakes, optional
- Add coconut oil to a small pot over medium heat followed by rice and stir to coat. Carefully, add bone broth, season with salt and bring to a boil before reducing to a simmer. Cook for 12 minutes or until rice has absorbed all the broth. Place in a container and store overnight to cool and become resistant starch.
- Re-heat rice in a small saucepan over low heat until just warm and stir through rice wine vinegar.
- Place the nori sheets on a bamboo mat and spread 3 tablespoons of rice onto each sheet (enough to fill 2/3 of the nori sheet). Add the avocado, salmon and kimchi to one edge and roll tightly into a long roll. Use a dab of water to seal the nori sheet before slicing into 4 pieces. Repeat for remaining sheets.
- Serve with tamari, chilli flakes and wasabi and enjoy!
Recipe developed and images shot by Elyse Lagos, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer from