We know how convenient it can be to grab a store-bought protein bar and run however have you ever taken the time to look at the ingredients list? You will find high amounts of added sugar and sweeteners, bulking agents and fillers, low-quality dairy and refined oils, just to name a few. These contain little to no nutrient density, can lead to hormonal disruption and digestive upset.
I don’t know about you but I can think of much healthier ways to get my protein and I’d much rather spend my Sunday making a batch of these Nutty MCT Protein Bars filled with an abundance of healthy fats, protein and natural sweetener to fuel your body and curb sugar cravings!
Ingredients (Makes ~8 bars)
- ½ cup Melrose almond butter
- 4 tablespoons Melrose Kick Start MCT Oil
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- ¼ cup cacao protein powder e.g. Bare Blends Plant Protein
- ½ cup chopped nuts of your choice (e.g. walnuts, almonds)
- ½ cup seeds of your choice (e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, linseeds, hemp)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup goji berries
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- In a large bowl combine almond butter and MCT oil and stir until combined.
- Add rice malt syrup and 2 tablespoons of hot water.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine, it should form a batter like texture.
- Line a tray with baking paper and transfer mixture into tray.
- Using your hands or a spatula, press the mixture down to form a 1 cm thick slab.
- Place in fridge to set for a couple of hours or overnight for best results.
- To make the chocolate sauce, combine cacao powder with coconut oil and stir to combine. Set aside to cool and thicken slightly (this will allow you to create the drizzled effect).
- Once sauce thickens drizzle over almond slab and place back in the fridge to set.
- Slice and enjoy.
- This can be stored in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.