This Red Lentil & Coconut Soup is pure comfort in a bowl – lentils are extremely high in fibre so this soup will leave you feeling satisfied and your digestive system thanking you!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, optional
- Heat oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add leek, garlic and ginger and sauté until golden.
- Add spices and stir until fragrant, followed by carrot, celery and salt.
- Once vegetables start to soften add lentils, coconut milk, tomatoes and vegetables broth. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 30-40 minutes or until lentils are soft and cooked through.
- Stir through lemon juice and set aside to cool.
- Blend in a food processor until smooth and serve into bowls.
- Top with parsley, chilli flakes and extra coconut milk if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.