If a hearty winter-warmer meal containing fall-off-the-bone meat and a flavoursome vegetable packed sauce sounds appealing then this recipe is for you! Our Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks with Vegies & Sweet Potato Mash is simple to prepare, nutrient-dense and a dish the whole family will love.
You can find this recipe, along with many delicious others in our new Postpartum Replenish Program. Find out more here.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 grass fed lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, no salt added
- ½ cup red wine, optional
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- 120g spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add lamb shanks to brown, approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove and place in slow cooker once browned.
- To the same pan, add onion, garlic, capsicum, celery and zucchini. Stir for 4-5 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Add vegetables to the slow cooker along with tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and broth.
- Season, stir to combine and ensure shanks are mostly submerged. Cook on low for a minimum of 6 hours.
- Just before serving, prepare sweet potato mash: grate and slice sweet potato into small pieces and steam until soft. Mash with butter and season with salt to taste.
- Turn off slow cooker and add spinach and oregano to lamb shanks mixture.
- Serve shanks on a bed of sweet potato mash with a drizzle of extra sauce and vegetables. Top with oregano leaves and enjoy!
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.