Short cycles, heavy menstrual bleeding and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) often have one thing in common: low progesterone. Other common symptoms include sleep issues including insomnia, recurrent miscarriage and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
If any or all of these symptoms resonate with you, there are many amazing natural strategies that really work. Here’s what you need to do:
The first place to start is with functional pathology testing to confirm your mid-luteal estrogen and progesterone levels. This must start with accurate cycle and ovulation tracking as the best day to test is 7 days post ovulation, not day 21 like the test is too often incorrectly referred to.
Once you have confirmed low progesterone (<40 nmol/L), here are your next steps:
Increase your intake of vitamin E rich foods including avocado, sunflower seeds, almonds and hazelnuts.
Eat more B6 rich foods including: Russet potatoes, salmon, tuna, bananas, spinach, walnuts, beef, chicken, sweet potato and beans.
- Increase your magnesium and vitamin C intake. In addition to a wholefood diet, rich in dark leafy greens, berries, nuts, seeds and cacao, consider the following supplements:
- Metagenics CalmX: 2 scoops, 1-2 times/day.
- Eden Health Foods Wild C: 1 teaspoon, 1-2 times/day.
- If you have also confirmed low or normal estrogen and luteinizing hormone (LH), consider the addition of vitex – to support your pituitary gland to produce progesterone and LH, both of which are necessary for your body to ovulate, for regular menstrual cycles, and for you to avoid symptoms of hormonal imbalance like PMS. My preferred product is Flordis Premular, which should be taken upon rising for a minimum of three menstrual months.
- Prioritise stress management strategies including breath work, yoga, meditation and journaling. I love 1 Giant Mind. Remember, progesterone is the primary raw material for producing cortisol so when you are chronically stressed your body will divert progesterone to the adrenals to support cortisol production.
Do you need support with short cycles, heavy menstrual bleeding and/or PMS? Please book a complimentary 15-minute consultation to learn more about how we can assist you today.