After five attempts, I finally have it. My Cauliflower Pizza Crust is gluten free, grain free, sugar free, low carb and delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Depending on the size of your cauliflower, this recipe can be used for one or two crusts. The thinner the crust, the more crunchier and easier to pick up it will be – just like real pizza 😉 .
- ½ small cauliflower
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca*
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup organic butter
- ½ sachet tomato paste (no salt added)
- Toppings of your choice
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and steam until very soft. Mash or blend until fine and set aside.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca, psyllium, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and mix well.
- Beat the egg and melt the butter and add both to the above mixture.
- Add the cauliflower and stir thoroughly. Let this sit for a minute so all of the moisture from the cauliflower is absorbed.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased quiche tin or onto a pizza tray. Use a bit of love here to spread the base evenly and firmly press down with your hands. To prevent sticking, lightly grease your hands first.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown. The longer you leave it here, the crunchier it will be.
- Evenly spread the tomato paste, add your toppings and cook for a further 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe should give you six normal sized slices. It is perfect with a side salad for a low carb meal, and a delicious cold snack if you are lucky enough to have leftovers! Simply store in the fridge in an airtight container if so.
* For those unfamiliar with tapioca, it is a gluten free flour made from cassava root. As it is pure starch, I’ve added as little as possible to keep the carbohydrate content down, but it seems essential for the consistency and texture of the crust. Unlike most of my other recipes, I advise you not to attempt substitutions with this. Buy yours here.