Traditional pesto is made with basil, olive oil, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. This Dairy Free Cashew Pesto offers a refreshing difference, and is packed full of nutrition. Perfect as a dip, spread or salad dressing, and great with zuchetti for a protein and nutrient rich vegetarian meal.
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ½ cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaped tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- The juice of ½ lemon, or more to taste
- Soak ½ cup cashews in boiling water for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Drain.
- Add soaked cashews, basil, olive oil, nutritional yeast and lemon juice and blend until well combined.
- Add remaining cashews and blitz quickly, depending on desired “chunkyness”.
- Taste test and add more lemon juice if required.
- Store in an airtight glass container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
What is your favourite use for pesto?