With our theme of the month detoxification in full swing we thought what better time to incorporate beetroot (one of the most detoxifying foods) into a delicious recipe for you.
These Beet & Cacao Muffins are a match made in heaven! The addition of beetroot not only provides an abundance of nutrients but it adds a tasty earthy flavour and makes these muffins extra moist. We guarantee you won’t be disappointed when you whip these up but don’t say we didn’t warn you it’s hard to stop at one.
Ingredients (Makes 6-8)
- 1 cup raw beetroot, peeled & grated
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 2 eggs, free range or chia eggs for vegan alternative
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Process beetroot in a food processor for approximately 30 seconds and add the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, rice malt syrup and coconut oil. Blend for another 30 seconds and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, coconut flour, cacao powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and slowly fold together to form a batter. Once combined add three quarters of the cacao nibs.
- Transfer into lightly greased muffin trays, top with a scattering of cacao nibs and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through and firm to touch.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.