Just when you thought pizza couldn’t possibly be healthy, let us introduce you to our Low Carb Lamb & Pumpkin Pizza.
Free from gluten, dairy and sugar, this low carb pizza variation combines all the right flavours that will leave you wanting more. The addition of pumpkin and capsicum makes this dish full of antioxidants and immune boosting nutrients to get you through the cooler months.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 1/2 small cauliflower
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husks
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 egg, free range
- 1/4 cup organic butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste (no salt added)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 400g grass fed lamb rump steaks
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 500g butternut pumpkin, dicd into cubes
- 1/2 red capsicum, diced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dairy Free Cashew Pesto, optional
- 50g baby rocket leaves
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and steam until soft. Mash or blend until fine and set aside.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, psyllium, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and mix well.
- Beat the egg and melt the butter and add both to the dry mixture.
- Add the cauliflower and stir thoroughly. Let this sit for a minute so all of the moisture is absorbed. Pour the mixture onto your lined baking tray and use a bit of love to spread the base evenly and firmly press down with your hands creating your desired pizza shape.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until lightly brown. The longer you leave it here, the crunchier it will be.
- Whilst pizza base is cooking, coat pumpkin and capsicum in coconut oil, season and add to lined baking tray. Add to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Whilst the pizza base and vegetables are cooking away, pat lamb dry and season with oregano, salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a fry pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and put it aside to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Spread the tomato paste onto pizza base and top with pumpkin, capsicum, lamb, red onion and pesto. Cook for a further 5 minutes or to your liking before serving with rocket.
Recipe developed and image shot by Elyse Lagos, TNN Practice Manager, Recipe Developer & Food Photographer. Learn more about Elyse here.