Now that we have your attention with our delicious looking granola, we wanted to take a moment to remind you why homemade granola is always the way to go. Although store bought granolas are marketed to us as ‘healthy’ and ‘natural’ they contain copious amounts of hidden sugars and refined oils. Ingredients such as these cause havoc on blood sugar levels, leading to energy slumps and unwanted cravings. Our advice? Make the switch to homemade granola and notice the difference. Power packed with protein and healthy fats to keep you feeling full and energised all morning long. Whip up a batch over the weekend and you’re set for the week ahead!
Ingredients (Serves 10-12)
- 1 cup raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 cup macadamias, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 cup pistachios
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 60ml cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
To serve, per person:
- 2 tablespoons coconut yoghurt
- ½ cup mixed berries
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly ensuring the wet and dry ingredients are well combined.
- Spread the granola evenly on the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Check regularly to ensure that it does not burn.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. This will keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To serve place ½ cup granola into a bowl and top with coconut yoghurt and berries.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Melinda Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.