Perfect for a quick and easy Friday night dinner after a long week, our open steak “sandwich” breaks with tradition but is no less delicious.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 600g grass-fed sirloin steak, flattened to a thickness of 1-2cm thickness
- 500g pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
- 4 rashers pasture-raised bacon
- 4 eggs, free range
- 60g rocket
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 teaspoons sauerkraut
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 medium beetroots
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mint
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 30g goat’s feta, optional
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with paper.
- Place beetroots on foil and season with salt, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of oil. Wrap and roast for 45 minutes, or until tender. Allow to cool, and using gloves rub off skin and grate into a bowl. Add chopped mint and pumpkin seeds and remaining lemon juice and oil and toss to combine. Crumble goat’s feta on top, if using.
- Slice pumpkin into 3cm thick slices and place on the baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil and season well. Bake in the oven for 6 minutes, or until golden.
- Heat a BBQ grill on a medium high heat and grill steak for 3-4 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking. Set aside in a warm place to rest.
- Heat a frypan on a medium heat and add the butter. Once melted, add the onions and bacon and fry for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan and add the eggs, frying until cooked through.
- To serve, lay pumpkin on the bottom of each plate. Add rocket, tomato, steak, bacon, fried onions, egg and avocado. Top with beetroot relish and sauerkraut. Season further if required and enjoy.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Melinda Benstead, TNN Recipe Developer & Expert LCHF Baker. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.