Chicken Masala is a popular Indian dish packed full of flavours from spices such as garlic, ginger, chilli and garam masala. We’ve utilised the slow cooker, making it the perfect winter meal to prepare in the morning and have on the table within 15 minutes of walking in the door at night.
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 1kg boneless free-range chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 teaspoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3cm piece whole ginger, peeled and grated
- 45g tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 500g diced tomatoes
- 400ml canned coconut milk
- 4 carrots, thickly diced
- 2 red capsicums, seeds and core removed, thickly sliced
- 2 large zucchinis, thickly diced
- 1/2 head of broccoli, floreted
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, floreted
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a fry pan and add garlic, ginger, tomato paste, garam masala, chilli flakes and salt. Sauté until garlic has softened and the spices have aromatised.
- Add chicken pieces into slow cooker, top with spice mix and add diced tomatoes and coconut milk.
- Add chopped carrot and capsicums and stir well. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- In the last hour, add the chopped zucchini.
- In the last 15 minutes, remove the lid and allow the sauce to thicken. Taste test and add more garam masala and/or salt if required.
- To make the caulibroc rice, pulse the cauliflower and broccoli together in a food processor until it resembles rice.
- In a large fry pan or wok, heat the oil and sauté the caulibroc rice for 4-5 minutes. Season well.
- Serve the masala on top of the rice and top with fresh coriander. Enjoy.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.