In case you hadn’t noticed, it’s winter (in Australia). Here’s just a little reminder of your priorities – get started now and boost your immune system sans flu shot!
- Boil the kettle. Hydration is just as important in the cooler months, so if you don’t feel like cold water, try warm water with a slice of fresh lemon or your favourite herbal tea. It is vital to maintain a good level of hydration to assist your immune system to fight off infection.
- Add garlic. Garlic is nature’s immune booster. Sauté in coconut oil prior to making a stir-fry, throw some in your Sunday roast or add to a freshly squeezed juice. Easy!
- Make soup. My Spicy Carrot and Coconut Soup is a real winter warmer and full of anti-viral and anti-inflammatory goodness. Find a way to add turmeric, ginger, chili and cinnamon to everything!
- Eat your greens. I’ll be honest, even I find it hard to eat a salad in winter. Let stir-frys, curries and vegetable soups become your winter staples to ensure your meals are packed full of natural vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Include citrus. Oranges, grapefruits, lemons, tangerines, clementines… Make a wise fruit choice and get a good dose of vitamin C at the same time! Or why not try a grapefruit, orange, red onion and flat leaf parsley salad with your choice of protein for dinner?
Don’t forget, gut health needs to be your priority always. 80% of your immune system exists here after all. Find out how you can optimise your gut health here.
How do you survive winter? Do you have a favourite winter warmer you’d like to share?