In my opinion, fritters are the perfect vehicles for our usual toast toppings. These are gluten free, grain free, low carb and packed full of goodness, so a far more nutrient dense option than traditional or gluten free bread. If you wish to also make them dairy free, simply omit the feta and season with rock salt. Delicious with smoked salmon, mashed avocado and lemon, and perfect with poached eggs. Add some fresh rocket for more greenery if you wish.
Ingredients (Makes 6 fritters)
- 2 eggs
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 large handful mint, finely chopped
- The juice of half a lemon
- ¼ cup feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup coconut flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoon psyllium
- A dash of water
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Coconut oil, for frying
Toppings (per person):
- 2 slices smoked salmon
- ¼ avocado, mashed
- 1 lemon wedge
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and add zucchini, mint, lemon and feta.
- Add coconut flour and psyllium combine well. Add the water only if your mixture needs help binding.
- Form medium balls, molding each well with your hands.
- Heat coconut oil in a large frypan, flatten the fritters and fry two at a time, flipping half way with an egg-flip. Repeat for additional fritters, adding a touch more coconut oil if required. If you are just serving one, you can store the batter in the fridge and fry fresh the next day.
- Serve two fritters topped with smoked salmon, avocado, fresh lemon and a sprinkle of black pepper. Any leftovers will keep for a couple of days in the fridge. Enjoy.