Recently, when reviewing Tigernuts – a gluten, dairy and nut free product high in resistant starch and good fats – we used the diced Tigernuts to form a crumbing on chicken. It resulted in a golden schnitzel with a difference and was too yummy to not share with everyone! Be sure to make extra so that you can have it for lunch the next day.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 600g chicken breast, free range
- 1 egg, free range
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup Tigernut Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Diced Tigernuts
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, for frying
Pumpkin & Avocado Salad:
- 1 small jap pumpkin, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 100g rocket leaves
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 baby fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Diced Tigernuts
- 30g goat’s feta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Toss the melted coconut oil with pumpkin and cumin and season well. Transfer to the baking tray and roast for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Add olive oil, Dijon mustard and lemon juice to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl add rocket, diced avocado, fennel, tigernuts and fennel. Add roasted pumpkin and dressing and toss gently to combine.
- In one bowl whisk the egg and milk together. In another bowl, place the tigernut flour. In the third bowl add the crushed tigernuts.
- Place the chicken into the tigernut flour and toss to cover. Dip the chicken in to the egg mixture and then toss in the crushed tigernuts. Repeat this twice.
- Heat a large frypan over a low heat and add the oil. Once melted, add the chicken and cook for approximately 7 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Serve schnitzel alongside salad.
Please note: Tigernuts can burn easily, so please ensure you cook the schnitzel slowly over a low heat.
Recipe developed with the assistance of Min Benstead, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and Recipe Creator for TNN. Learn more in Meet Min here.
Image by Sarah Craven Photography.