My No Bake Energy Bars are one the most popular recipes on my site. They have been a huge hit with the cyclists, triathletes and endurance runners I work with, and have taken social media by storm. Speaking of which, there has been so many fantastic variations on Facebook and Instagram that I thought it was about time I created version two. So here it is, lower fructose and still packed full of good fats, protein and slow release energy. Natural fuelling at its finest.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup almonds, chopped*
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- ½ cup rice malt syrup
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat grill.
- Place quinoa, coconut, almonds and seeds onto a lightly greased baking tray and toast for 5 minutes, stirring mid-way.
- Pour toasted mix into a large bowl and stir through goji berries.
- In a medium saucepan, add rice malt syrup, salt and vanilla and bring to the boil (about 4-5 minutes until thick), stirring constantly. Your syrup should be thick and golden, but take care not to overcook as it will burn.
- Pour hot syrup over dry mix and combine thoroughly.
- Line a cookie sheet pan or cake/bread tin with greaseproof paper, or lightly coat in coconut oil.
- Transfer mixture and press firmly until flat (grease your hands with coconut oil to prevent sticking).
- Pop in the fridge to set first, then remove before slicing. Once at room temperature, cut into 8-10 bars. Store in an airtight container or wrap individually in glad wrap to take on the bike or for when you’re on the go.
Just as good as the original, don’t you think?
*For nut free, please add an extra half a cup of pepitas and/or sunflower seeds in place of almonds.