Who doesn’t love bread? I stick with gluten free and try to only eat it on occasions, but it really is the perfect vehicle for eggs, bacon, avocado mash, fresh spinach…and the list goes on. My Almost Paleo Vegie Bread is a fantastic nutrient dense alternative to store-bought bread, and a great way to sneak extra vegetables into your day. If you’re new to gluten free baking, this recipe is a great place to start as it contains simple ingredients, only a handful of easy instructions, and it really will show you how easy it is to convert to a “homemade household”. Avoiding packets is easier than you think.
- 2 cups almond meal
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husks
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup grated raw pumpkin
- 1 cup grated raw zucchini
- 4 free range eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, flour, psyllium, salt and baking powder.
- Add grated vegetables to the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs.
- Add the eggs, oil, rice malt syrup and ACV and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop into a greased bread tin and bake for 30 minutes or until it passes a skewer test.
- Cool, slice into 12 serves and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
As a snack, it’s delicious on its own or warmed and served with grass fed butter. For breakfast, what will you use yours as a vehicle for?